Marble has been loved by artists and emperors for centuries and it is still a very in-demand stone. It might be pure and clear as white snow with little to no patterns, or it might have gorgeous, colorful, and dramatic veins; but what is certain is that each marble slab is peerless. This uniqueness adds an unreachable charm and personality to any space. Furthermore, it brings an air of luxury and royalty anywhere it is used.
As this luxury material is so beloved and has been the primary choice of decoration for such a long time, you might wonder what makes it so special. Before we get to all of the advantages of marble, let’s talk about what exactly marble is in the first place.
What is Marble?
Marble begins as limestone, mainly composed of calcite and a soft stone. Limestone, over time, transforms due to extreme heat and pressure. Magma and tectonic plates cause limestone to recrystallize; therefore, the stone hardens, the texture changes, and it becomes marble. Marble can be found in many different areas of the world. However, the most popular varieties are from Italy and Greece, where the purest color is extracted.
When marble is entirely pure, it doesn’t have any veins and is a solid color. Yet one of the most prominent characteristics of marble associated with it the most is its veins which are mineral deposits, settling into the layers. They can be thin and dainty lines, or they can be thick and smokey throughout the slab.
Another exciting characteristic of marble is that it is slightly translucent, allowing you to see through a couple of millimeters of thickness. That is one of the reasons why it has been and still is such a popular choice for sculpting.
The see-through element adds a unique depth that isn’t available in any other material. Using other opaque stones or clay doesn’t come close to creating the same effect that marble provides: a realistic look to the sculptures.
You can use marble everywhere in your house for different purposes, such as marble tiles, countertops, kitchen islands, vanity tops, fireplace surrounds, accent walls, floors, shower walls, and so much more. Its soft nature allows it to be highly flexible and easily shaped into whichever space you wish. It has a smooth and cool surface which will add elegance and a modern aura to your house, while its excellent veins will bring a unique appearance that cannot be replicated.
Benefits of Marble
The only reason marble is so popular and sought after isn’t its appearance. While its sophisticated look is one of the reasons, the benefits of marble are much more than its beauty. Below, you will find only some of the advantages of marble countertops you can benefit from in your house.
1. Elegant appearance: The look of natural marble is tough to mimic. As it is a natural stone, it lives and ages with you. So it will look beautifully aged in twenty years, display character and personality. It comes in many different colors, finishes, and patterns and offers flexibility. Thanks to its timeless and understated beauty, marble can fit into whichever space you want. At the same time, you can choose a design that will elevate and liven up your area, as marble is available in many different patterns and can have many different colored veins.
2. Easy cleaning: As marble is a soft stone, it is best to avoid heavy-duty cleaning materials and a lot of harsh scrubbing – which makes cleaning marble very easy. Mixing some natural dish soap and warm water makes an excellent marble cleaner. After that, all you have to do is spray it on the dirty area and wipe it with a soft cloth. Don’t forget to rinse it with water and dry it with another cloth afterward. As long as you stay on top of the sealing of your marble, it will be resistant to liquids. But remember the most important rule of marble: never let it come into contact with acids. For instance, citruses such as lemon and other acids like vinegar should never touch marble; otherwise, the surface will get damaged
3. Versatility: Marble offers endless opportunities and space for creativity. You can use it in any room of your choice for various purposes. Marble is ideal for bathroom shower floors, walls, vanity tops, and more. It can have even more different usages in your kitchen: countertops, backsplashes, islands, and benchtops. They can even be used as tabletops.
Furthermore, marble can be used for flooring in any room or space in your house. As they are available in different styles, you will indeed find one that fits the aesthetic of the room you are looking to redecorate. Even if one of the many types of marble doesn’t fit your taste, you can customize it according to your preferences.
4. Light reflective: One of the reasons why marble is a favorite among homeowners is because it reflects light. This creates an effect in which a room with marble accents looks brighter and more appealing. Even if you don’t consciously realize that the marble fixtures reflect light, you will still like the light and bright aura that marble brings to the room. The glossy finish that marble usually has further supports this effect.
5. Keeps cool: If you are a baker, you know how hard it is to sometimes work with a fussy dough or butter that keeps melting. That is the reason why French bakers favored marble countertops for so long. As marble keeps cool even in high heat conditions, it helps during baking because it keeps ingredients from melting. It also helps to cool things faster.
Is Engineered Stone Better Than Marble?
As marble is a natural material, it is more eco-friendly compared to human-made alternatives. It is not processed with a long list of chemicals. Besides, marble is naturally biodegradable. When you choose a natural material such as marble, you choose an option that won’t negatively impact the environment.
Because not only does it not create waste as it degrades, but it also saves on a lot of waste that would be created during the manufacturing process.
On the other hand, engineered stones can be much easier to maintain for they have non-porous surfaces. The non-porous composition provides resistance against stains and discoloration. Furthermore, even though engineered stones can offer other challenges, the fact is they are much lower maintenance compared to marble.
After all, both marble and engineered stones have their unique advantages and disadvantages. What matters is what your needs are and what are the requirements of your lifestyle.
For instance, if you have a hectic life and less time for maintaining your stone, you can go for engineered stones. However, if you value your purchases being eco-friendly above all else and want a surface that will live and age with you, then marble is the right choice for you.
In short, marble has many benefits that suit your needs because there is something in marble for everyone. As there are many types of marble coming with different characteristics, you will surely find one that meets your practical and aesthetic needs.
As Paragon, we are happy to help you in your journey of making your house a home. If you have any other questions about our products or services, you can always contact us for further information.